Plug

Member of The Crypto Crew:
http://www.thecryptocrew.com/

Please Also Visit our Sister Blog, Frontiers of Anthropology:

http://frontiers-of-anthropology.blogspot.com/

And the new group for trying out fictional projects (Includes Cryptofiction Projects):

http://cedar-and-willow.blogspot.com/

And Kyle Germann's Blog

http://www.demonhunterscompendium.blogspot.com/

And Jay's Blog, Bizarre Zoology

http://bizarrezoology.blogspot.com/

Sunday 14 July 2013

Another "Giant Bat" photo



This is another photograph going the rounds on the internet and allegedly showing another "Giant bat photo" including the supposed identification as a "Golden capped flying fox" !!
On one of the Facebook discussion boards I made the ID of it:

Dale Drinnon:
This is not photoshop, it is forced perspective and it almost works, except the guys in the background are out of focus. This is incidentally a Colugo or "Flying Lemur" native to SE Asia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colugo
en.wikipedia.org
Colugos/kəˈluːɡoʊ/ are arboreal gliding mammals that are found in Southeast Asia.... Just two extantspecies[1] make up the entire familyCynocephalidae/ˌsaɪnəsɛˈfɑːlɨdiː/ and orderDermoptera. They are the most capable of all gliding mammals, using flaps of extra skin between their legs to glide from ...

Precious Cecilia As a photographer I thought same thing, the face is blurred exactly or to keep from showing real identity, and I will not gripe about flying spider wasps now.

J.C. Johnson:
[Original Source ]
singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg

The giant golden-crowned flying fox, also known as the golden-capped fruit bat,

Jc Johnson So the story goes, when I was 17 years old up in North Central Minnesota, back in the early 80's. I was on my way back from dropping off my movie dates- yes dates, I took two sisters to the movies. They lived a few miles back in the woods off a dirt road. Dropped them off,(around midnight) driving back toward the highway, in an area where there were corn fields, I saw what I thought was a little old man in a trench coat walking across the road. I thought this because he was taking short little steps, and it looked looked like he had a hump on the upper part of his back? I would have put him around 5 feet tall also? I slowed down and stopped, kept him in my headlights as he crossed. When he got to the other side of the road, I realized he was standing on the edge of a culvert, which would have been about a four foot drop and a deeper ditch that would add for a bigger fall. This concerned me. As I was preparing to roll down my window and yell at him to stop, he jumps off the culvert, and at that moment, a huge set of wings are deployed, and he was gone.
If I recall correctly, I think I shared this story with my cousin Lisa Murphy ?
 
[I had heard almost identical stories coming out of Michigan in the 1960s and 1970s. Some people did suggest the creatures had gliding membranes like a flying squirrel, and others thought it was "A Kind of Pterodactyl" however the stooped and hunchbacked posture on the ground makes me think theses are rather "Thunderbird" sightings where the creature's true birdlike nature is unrecognized-DD]
 

James Orchard To me the wings and arm structure does not to bat like?

  • Dale Drinnon Naturally its a colugo. See my link up the page a bit

  • Jc Johnson I think Dale has got this one--
    Jc Johnson's photo.





  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    This blog does NOT allow anonymous comments. All comments are moderated to filter out abusive and vulgar language and any posts indulging in abusive and insulting language shall be deleted without any further discussion.